Maharashtra is the most progressive state of India and is called economic powerhouse.
The State Govt. of Maharashtra is making all out efforts to accelerate the pace
of development and invite investments in the State both from the country as well
as Foreign Direct Investments (F.D.I.).
Nagpur is the second capital of Maharashtra and has strategic central location in
India as well as the international aviation routes. It has a great agricultural
and minerals rich hinterland with huge forests. It has connectivity to all parts
of India, both by National Highways as well as main trunk rail routes and also the
air connectivity. Nagpur city is educational and business center of central India.
In real sense, it is a cosmopolitan tier two city of not only Maharashtra but India.
In recent survey it has been found that Nagpur is the second most cosmopolitan city
in India after Mumbai. It has excellent roads, water, power and telecommunication
infrastructure. It has been awarded as India’s No.2 green city. It has about 45
engineering colleges and about 13 medical colleges in and around the city. Every
year about 10,000 Engineers and about 3,000 Doctors are graduating from these colleges.
In order to tap this potential, Govt. of Maharashtra has decided to develop a composite
project called ‘Multi-Model International Passenger and Cargo Hub Airport at Nagpur’
(MIHANTM). The project comprises of developing the existing domestic
airport of Nagpur as an international passenger and cargo hub airport, along with
a Multi Product Special Economic Zone (SEZ), which is abutting to the boundary of
The existing airport presently on about 400 Hectares is to be developed as an international
passenger and cargo hub airport over a total area of about 1,295 Hectares by providing
world-class huge terminal building on about 3 million Sq.Ft. built-up area, constructing
a second parallel runway of 4,000 Mt. length and 60 Mt. width and an exclusive cargo
complex. It will have a holding capacity of about 100 aircraft.
Salient Features of Multi- Modal International Hub Airport at Nagpur (MIHANTM):
- MIHANTM project area – 4354 Hectares
- Runway – Existing runway to be extended from 3200 meters to 3600 meters, provision
made for an additional parallel runway 4000 x 60 meters capable of handling Airbus
A380 and similar aircrafts.
- Projected traffic – 14 million passengers a year & 8, 70,000 Tonnes of cargo a year,
by 2030 (may be earlier).
- Type of Airport – International Hub Airport for Passenger and Cargo.
- Type of connectivity – Multi-Model Airport, Railway Terminal for Passengers and
Goods, Truck Terminal all in one project.
- Special Economic Zone – operational multi-product SEZ.
- Passenger amenities – Hotels, Restaurants, SPA, Duty-Free Shopping Centers, Retiring
- Other facilities – Multiplex, educational, Medical, Shopping Malls etc.
- Residential facilities for persons working in MIHANTM related activities.
- Value Added Commercial Services Complex.
- Total investment will be about $ 20 billion in next five years.
- Employment generated in MIHANTM Project is estimated at about 1, 20,000
direct jobs by year 2018 in MIHANTM area.
Note: A total of 3293.84 Hectares of land is in possession of Maharashtra Airport
Development Company as on 18th December 2009. This includes 183.21 hectares govt.
land transferred to MADC for the MIHANTM Project.